Apple Mail 4 and iCal 4, which come with Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6) can be manually configured to work with Exchange Online. Previous versions of Apple Mail and iCal are not supported.
To configure Apple Mail and iCal:
- Open Apple Mail, type your name, type your Exchange Online e-mail address and password, and then click Continue.
- Click Cancel to stop the auto-configuration, and then click Continue.
- Select Exchange 2007 as your account type, and then, in Incoming Mail Server, type your server address. See Mobile Device URLs in URLs for Microsoft Online Services to find the server address for your region.
- Type your Exchange Online e-mail address and your password.
- Select Address Book contacts and iCal calendars, and then click Continue.
- On the Account Summary page, review your configuration, make sure that SSL is on, select Take account online, and then click Create.
After clicking Create, it will take a few minutes for your Exchange Online e-mail and calendar items to synchronize.
Note: When you set up an Exchange account in Apple Mail, SSL is on by default. If you turned it off, you can turn it back on in Apple Mail by clicking Preferences, Accounts, Advanced, and then selecting Use SSL under the internal server path. Select port number 443.
We want to hear from you. Let us know what other topics you’d like to see. You can comments on this blog post or send mail to our community mailbox. Follow us on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.